Rising Star Awards recognise excellence
Dawson South third-year apprentice Brendan Ireland was named Thiess Apprentice of the Year at the 2019 Rising Star Awards.
Brendan, who received two separate nominations from site supervisors, was recognised for his initiative, commitment and embodiment of Thiess’ principles.
It was Brendan’s third Rising Star win, after receiving the 2017 1st Year Breakthrough Award and 2018 2nd Year Apprentice Next Generation Award.
Thiess Executive General Manager Australia East Abdul Jarrah presented the award, congratulating Brendan on his achievement.
“Brendan’s high performance has been consistent since starting his apprenticeship with Thiess,” Abdul said.
“His hard work and commitment enabled him to step up to the role of Breakdown Fitter, which is a testament to his ability, aptitude and competence well beyond the average third-year apprentice.”
More than 120 guests from across Thiess’ global operations attended the annual awards night, held at Brisbane’s Convention Exhibition Centre.
Nominations for apprentices and trainees were received from projects in Queensland and Western Australia.
“We received some outstanding nominations. Their stories of professional and personal achievement remind us all how we can make a difference and deliver exceptional outcomes,” Abdul said.
Our 2019 Rising Star Award winners:
1st Year Apprentice Breakthrough Award
• Winner - Sam Keijzer, Peak Downs
• Runner up - Codee Kersh, QCNH
2nd Year Apprentice Next Generation Award
• Winner - David Evans, Dawson South
• Runner up - Ben Astbury, Peak Downs
Apprentice of the Year Award
• Winner - Brendan Ireland, Dawson South
• Runner up - Liam Wilkins, Lake Vermont
Trainee of the Year Award
• Winner - Sacha Comollatti, Dawson South
• Runner up - Sherrena Ryan, Curragh
Thiess graduates, in both functional support and engineering disciplines, were also recognised at the event.
The winners of the 2019 Graduate of the Year Awards:
Graduate of the Year Award - Engineering Disciplines
• Winner - Long Dinh, GIS Spatial Systems
• Runner up - Callum Jones, Mechanical Engineer
Graduate of the Year Award - Support Disciplines
• Winner - Emily-Rose Ellis, Finance and Data Science
• Runner up - Tai-Ling Yu, Health & Safety
Thiess graduate winners will progress as finalists for the CIMIC Graduate of the Year Award.